• What is SEND?

    SEND - Special educational needs and disabilities ( SEND ) can affect a child or young person's ability to learn or make progress.  These needs may relate to learning difficulties, communication and interaction, social, emotional and mental health difficulties and/or be physical or sensory in nature.

  • What is an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan?

    An Education, Health and Care plan (EHCP) are for children and young people up to the age of 25 with special educational needs who have complex needs and require support that is above and beyond what a school or college may usually provide.  It is hoped that the majority of special educational needs would be met through support and adjustments made to mainstream schooling. However, this is not always the case or the needs of a child or young person may require input from a number of different agencies and professionals from outside of the mainstream system.

  • What is a SENCo/SENDCo?

    A SENCo or SENDCo is a Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (or Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Co-ordinator.)  They are the person in a school who is responsible for overseeing and leading the educational support for children with educational needs and disabilities.

  • What are Access Arrangements?

    Access arrangements are adjustments and support that can be put in place for students taking exams.  They can include using a laptop/word processor to complete exam questions instead of writing, having a reader, having a prompter or having Extra Time.  There are a whole list of arrangements/adjustments that can be applied.  In order to receive access arrangements, there must be evidence that the young person has a need for the arrangement to take place and also that it is their normal way of working - that this is how they normally work in class or for tests/exams.

  • What records shall I keep?

    Keeping records relating to your child's educational or health needs is something that can be very important when navigating the education and support system in the UK.  Try to have a folder to keep letters and reports in and a notebook to record what happens at appointments and face to face meetings, in phone calls or in remote meetings.  If possible, keep things in date order and store the information somewhere where you can easily access it.  Keep all school letters and reports relating to the needs of your child; keep letters from educational professionals and support agencies from outside of school; keep records of all letters and reports from medical professionals.

  • What is DLA?

    DLA stands for Disability Living Allowance and is a benefit that can be claimed by parents or carers of disabled children under 16.  It is designed to help with additional costs you may face due to caring for a child with a disability.  Your child does not need to have a diagnosis to claim this benefit but there must be evidence of care needs.

  • What is PIP?

    PIP stands for Personal Independence Payment and is a benefit intended to help people with with a long term condition or disability. You can start to claim PIP from the age of 16.  PIP can be paid regardless of income and savings and is a tax free benefit.

  • What are reasonable adjustments?

    A reasonable adjustment is a change that can be made to make sure that a child or young person with a disability is not disadvantaged in relation to their peers.


Talk about Send

Unit 4

Mountfield Road,


New Romney,


TN28 8LH

© 2022 Talk about SEND CIC | Website by Arpent Design | Contact Me